If you go to any government officials for any work then they ask you for tons of papers and documents for verification of your identity like mark sheets, certificates, voter ID, address proof, blah… blah… Isn’t it? Then you get so much frustrated. But the problem of carrying all these papers now has been solved. Now you don’t need to carry those tons of papers with you physically all the time. You can now carry it on your smartphones digitally e-signed by you. The government of India issue a service called DigiLocker, where you can store almost all the key papers which require time to time. So without any further ado, let’s get started.
What is DigiLocker?
Digilocker is a cloud-based digital locker service issued by Government of India built by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology under the purpose of paperless governance, It is a platform for issuance and verification of documents and certificates in a digital way, eliminating the use of physical documents. Indian citizens who sign up for a DigiLocker account get a dedicated cloud storage space that is linked to their Aadhaar number (UIDAI).
Organizations that are registered with DigiLocker (i.e Transport authorities, Education Boards etc.) can push e-copies of documents and certificates (e.g. driving license, Voter ID, School certificates) directly into users lockers. Users can also upload scanned copies of their key documents in their accounts. These key documents can be electronically signed by the user using the eSign facility.
Is it secure?
DigiLocker is very much safe and secure to use. It took all the precautionary measures to ensure your data is protected and uncompromised. Here is the list of some security measures that have been implemented until now.
- It follows standard software development practices of uniform coding standards, guidelines, and reviews. Every release is reviewed and tested internally for security and penetration vulnerabilities before getting deployed on our servers.
- It uses a 256-bit secure socket layer (SSL) Encryption for information transmitted during any activity.
- It uses mobile authentication based signup via OTP (one-time password) for authenticating users and allowing access to the platform.
- To receive issued documents from registered issuers, citizens need to authenticate themselves using Aadhaar’s Biometric or Mobile OTP authentication service.
- The application is hosted in the ISO 27001 security certified data center.
- To protect a user’s account from unauthorized access, their system is designed to terminate the session automatically if extended inactivity is detected.
- This application has been security audited by a recognized audit agency and the application security audit certificate has been obtained.
- The data from this storage is shared only with the citizen’s explicit consent. All sharing and access activities are logged and conveyed to the user. Organizations that need access to user’s certificates need to register on it and seek explicit consent from the user.
Basic benefits of using DigiLocker
The cloud-based platform has the following basic benefits:
- Users can access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share it online.
- It reduces the administrative overhead of Government departments by minimizing the use of paper.
- It makes it easier to validate the authenticity of documents as they are issued directly by the registered issuers.
- Self-uploaded documents can be digitally signed using the eSign facility (which is similar to the process of self-attestation).
Other key benefits
One of the key benefits of this locker is that you can now store your driving license and vehicle’s RC papers digitally. Ministry of Road Transport has issued an official statement informing to all the state governments that digital driving license and vehicle’s RC papers stored in DigiLocker are now legally recognized at par with the original documents as per the IT Act 2000 and is valid under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988.
Effective immediately, the notification by the ministry is addressed to all the India State’s Principal Secretaries, all Secretaries of Department of Transport, DGPs/ ADGPs(Traffic) and all State/UT Transport Commissioners.
The government in its notification has made it very clear to every State to accept DLs and Vehicle papers on DigiLocker and mParivahan. During an offense when the documents are required to impound a vehicle, the law agency can access Vahan. Sarthi database online through the eChallan system and therefore no need of physical seizure of any such documents.
How to use it?
Signing up for DigiLocker is very easy.
- Download this app on your smartphone.
- Create a unique username and password.
- Your mobile number will be authenticated by sending an OTP (one-time password).
- This will create your DigiLocker account.
Note: You can also register with the DigiLocker account via DigiLocker official website by going through this link.
After your DigiLocker account is successfully created, you can provide your Aadhaar number (UIDAI) to avail additional services.
So that’s it for today guys. I hope you would have enjoyed it. If you have any suggestions and queries related to the post, let me know in the comment section below. Please do share this post to your circle to explore the knowledge you must know.
Information source: official website